#152 support variable fonts 14 days ago

Ticket created by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

For example, see https://www.recursive.design/, which is a font that's highly customizable. It allows modifying all of these variables in a scale:

  • monospace (from 100% sans to 100% mono)
  • linear vs casual
  • weight (light vs extra-black)
  • slant (regular vs cursive)

This is particularly interesting for Gio, because if one wants to ship an entirely self-contained app, it's a good idea to ship fonts as well. But if one wants a monospace font for code, a sans font for English, and a cartoon-ish font for something else, you likely need to ship three fonts.

With a variable font, you could ship a single one and then tweak the parameters in each of the UI components. Note that I have very little experience with font rendering, so I don't know if this would be a big refactor, or simply exposing this font as a package.

HN discussion: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=23929151

#23 Sources redirect directly to repo if there's only one 2 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~sircmpwn/hub.sr.ht

I agree with this issue; the current UI isn't great for the majority of projects, where there's just one git repo and one issue tracker.

A redirect isn't our only option, though. The page could also simply list some of the issues, such as the most recent ones, under the link to the issue tracker. This could also be done for any number of issue trackers; you could think of it as an "activity feed" of issues only.

#84 android logs should use the configured appid 3 months ago

on ~eliasnaur/gio

REPORTED RESOLVED FIXED

#84 android logs should use the configured appid 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

I did this in e97adeedd9186530b84a40ebd0ebb7af66eb0e07.

~eliasnaur I thought the "fixes" comment lines would work in sourcehut automagically, so I guess they don't.

#106 e2e test app won't run on Wine with dxvk 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

real Xorg + wine + gio: works
real Xorg + wine + dxvk + gio: works
virtual Xorg + wine + gio: works
virtual Xorg + wine + dxvk + gio: does NOT work

#106 e2e test app won't run on Wine with dxvk 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

We figured out the cause:

real Xorg + wine + gio: works real Xorg + wine + dxvk + gio: works virtual Xorg + wine + gio: works virtual Xorg + wine + dxvk + gio: does NOT work

It appears that Wine's built-in Direct3D implementation works on virtual Xorg servers without DRI3, but DXVK won't work properly when DRI3 isn't available. Xephyr and Xvfb don't seem to support DRI3.

We'll fix this by making the end-to-end tests use a completely separate WINEPREFIX, so that the user's config (such as DXVK being installed) doesn't affect whether or not the tests pass.

#106 e2e test app won't run on Wine with dxvk 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

I should clarify that by "it fails to render properly" I mean that the gio app refuses to start or show a window. I'll use this thread to post more information in the future, if I have any.

#106 e2e test app won't run on Wine with dxvk 3 months ago

Ticket created by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

On a clean Wine 5.7 install, the following works:

cd cmd/gogio
go test -run /Windows

However, if we install dxvk via setup_dxvk install (I used version 1.6.1), it fails to render properly.

I haven't investigated this much further. For the time being, I'm working around the issue for the end-to-end tests by uninstalling dxvk temporarily.

I understand that dxvk doesn't support OpenGL or EGL, but it does support Direct3D 11, which should be enough for GIo. I imagine it's some form of bug on the Gio side, given that dxvk works with hundreds of games.

#84 android logs should use the configured appid 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

I think we should set this always, for consistency.

To clarify, what I mean here is that -appid should add the -X liner flag, regardless of the platform we're building for.

#84 android logs should use the configured appid 3 months ago

Comment by ~mvdan on ~eliasnaur/gio

Ah, that's a good idea. Some follow-up assumptions for your input:

  • I think we should set this always, for consistency.
  • I think an "AppID" variable is probably the right level of portability. It can default to "gio" or something like that on platforms that don't have such a concept, like Linux. Those platforms wouldn't use the variable for now.
  • I think placing it in app/internal/log is probably OK for now, since we want it somewhere low level and hidden. We could move it somewhere a bit more appropriate in the future if needed, like app/internal/cfg.