~ralessi/ekdosis#2: 
Float(s) lost error

Dear Robert,

I am having a problem with the critical apparatus getting decoupled from the text a couple of pages into the document. I've redacted my file (which had about 160 pages in pdf) to show the first time where this problem occurs (pg. 10) [but cannot upload here because it's still too long]. Further down into the text, the problem gets worse: many pages with edition texts are printed without its apparatus before the latter appear on a page hundreds of lines below where they should be. Of course, that page wouldn't have its apparatus either, until another dozen or so pages later.

(I also cannot figure out why the line numbers appear for my translations... your Caeser example did not specify anything for suppressing the line numbers for the translations...)

Thanks so much, once again! Dotno

Status
RESOLVED IMPLEMENTED
Submitter
~dotno
Assigned to
No-one
Submitted
a month ago
Updated
a month ago
Labels
No labels applied.

~ralessi a month ago

Don't put floating environments in minipages or other non-floating boxes as this is the usual cause for lost floats. Look at your log file, which should print between square brackets the number of pages LaTeX could output before this problem occurred.

I am having a problem with the critical apparatus getting decoupled from the text a couple of pages into the document. I've redacted my file (which had about 160 pages in pdf) to show the first time where this problem occurs (pg. 10) [but cannot upload here because it's still too long]. Further down into the text, the problem gets worse: many pages with edition texts are printed without its apparatus before the latter appear on a page hundreds of lines below where they should be. Of course, that page wouldn't have its apparatus either, until another dozen or so pages later.

Before going on, you should carefully go through section 11 and 11.1 of the documentation (“The Tricks of the Trade”) The introduction of this section will tell you how the pages of the edition text are built, one after the other. Most importanly, when ekdosis oscillates between two sets of page decisions at some point, you should take care of the problem at that point before going on. Read on sect. 11.1 on how to do this.

(I also cannot figure out why the line numbers appear for my translations... your Caeser example did not specify anything for suppressing the line numbers for the translations...)

Look at the example provided on page 29: the texts option sets the environments to be used, whereas only those specified as values of the apparatus option receive line numbers.

~ralessi REPORTED IMPLEMENTED a month ago

~dotno a month ago*

Thanks for your quick response, again. I did not realize the oscillating problem would manifest in that way.

For my text, there was no magic maxentries number that resolved the problem across the whole text. I ended up breaking the page after every paragraph with a \pagebreak, and setting the page size to half a page (a5), which seemed to resolve the problem for this particular text.

\ekdpb with a line number (with or without page number) would throw an error that there is a line reference without line number. \ekdpb* with the star was working, but only after an error message.

I wonder if the \footnote{} bits I had in the translation column, or the \par in both columns, were causing the problem. For everything else, I followed the model in the Caeser.tex pretty closely, and did not put in any environments not mentioned in the documentation.

~ralessi a month ago*

Thanks for your quick response, again. I did not realize the oscillating problem would manifest in that way.

It can show up on one page only out of many as described in the introduction of 11.1. Should this happen, it must be fixed before trying to compile any further pages.

For my text, there was no magic maxentries number that resolved the problem across the whole text.

Here is how this should be used:

The right value for maxentries can only be figured out by compiling the pages one after the other. In my opinion, you should keep only a few pages and comment out all what remains, then proceed in batches of about five to ten pages until the value of maxentries is adequate for the pages to pass. Some few pages, the number of entries of which remain too high, will still not pass: it will then be the occasion to apply \ekdpb.

I ended up breaking the page after every paragraph with a \pagebreak, and setting the page size to half a page (a5), which seemed to resolve the problem for this particular text.

I would rather go with the scheme described above.

\ekdpb with a line number (with or without page number) would throw an error that there is a line reference without line number. \ekdpb* with the star was working, but only after an error message as well.

This means that you tried to use \ekdpb outside the edition text, for example in the translation, which is not allowed. \ekdpb must be used in environments where line numbering is active, otherwise it throws a error. This is expected behavior.

I wonder if the \footnote{} bits I had in the translation column, or the \par in both columns, were causing the problem.

Most certainly not.

For everything else, I followed the model in the Caeser.tex pretty closely, and did not put in any environments not mentioned in the documentation.

Without a mre, it is hard if not impossible to guess where the error lies. My advice would be to fix the very first page that doesn't pass, then proceed by gradually uncommenting the following pages.

Register here or Log in to comment, or comment via email.