~rjarry/aerc#257: 
Wrong escape for From in busybox

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for aerc. I have been using it for years.

I just switched to alpine + busybox (and I love it) and noticed a glitch.

When From: contains a special char (e.g. an umlaut) and a comma, From: is transferred to something like

?utf-8?b?abcde ...

If only either of these characters (umlaut or comma) is used, everything works fine.

Same thing happens when I try to reply to myself, if from in accounts.conf is something like

from = "Name, Company ÄÖÜ" <me@email.com>

As I never noticed this before I think this has something to do with busybox.

Is there anything we can do about this? Thanks!

Status
RESOLVED FIXED
Submitter
~neff
Assigned to
No-one
Submitted
a month ago
Updated
25 days ago
Labels
No labels applied.

~rockorager a month ago

On Wed, 12 Jun 2024 04:58:33 CDT, ~neff wrote:

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for aerc. I have been using it for years.

I just switched to alpine + busybox (and I love it) and noticed a glitch.

When From: contains a special char (e.g. an umlaut) and a comma, From: is transferred to something like

?utf-8?b?abcde ...

If only either of these characters (umlaut or comma) is used, everything works fine.

Does the relative placement of the characters make a difference? Can you send a few examples of ones that fail and ones that pass? (Modifying names to protect privacy, as needed).

I can't imagine how this would be tied to busybox. Do you happen to know the version you used before?

-- Tim

~neff a month ago

Hi Tim,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Do you happen to know the version you used before?

I compiled 73bcb466 from source. Before Alpine I used Void, and I think I compiled from the same (or at most a little older) commit. The key difference is musl+busybox vs. glibc+coreutils. But I have no clue whether this causes my issue.

Can you send a few examples of ones that fail and ones that pass?

First of all I did these four tests:

  1. from = Neff <mail@email.com>
  2. from = "Neff, Neff" <mail@email.com>
  3. from = Neff Ä <mail@email.com>
  4. from = "Neff, Ä" <mail@email.com>

In cases 1) to 3) From: is correct; in 4) From: is indicated as

"Neff, Ä <mail@email.com>" <>   

i.e. with a trailing <>.

When I reply to 4) the to To:-address is something like =?utf-8?b?abcde ... +?= <@> as mentioned above.

Does the relative placement of the characters make a difference?

No, apart vom 1) to 4) I did more tests swapping the umlaut(s) and comma(s).

This is not a theoretical issue. There are many recipients to whom I cannot reply (without correcting To:). I would definitely have noticed this before over the years ;-)

THX a lot!

~inwit a month ago*

On 13/06/2024, 12:07, ~neff wrote:

"Neff, Ä <mail@email.com>" <>   

i.e. with a trailing <>.

This is exactly what happens to me sometimes. Robin has been able to reproduce it.

~rockorager a month ago

On Thu, 13 Jun 2024 05:15:04 CDT, ~inwit wrote:

On 13/06/2024, 12:07, ~neff wrote:

"Neff, Ä <mail@email.com>" <>   

i.e. with a trailing <>. This is exactly what happens to me sometimes. Robin has been able to reproduce it.

This must be an issue in go-message, right?

~rjarry a month ago

Hi ~neff,

~inwit also reported the same issue recently.

Could you try building from source after reverting commit https://git.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc/commit/f204c736759f4d6647a50aa94a415545c0d3a8f7 ?

I would be surprised if this was the source of the problem but it is worth checking.

Thanks!

~neff a month ago*

Thanks, ~rjarry!

For me the problem persists after reverting the commit you mentioned.

~rjarry 26 days ago

I have posted a patch that should fix the issue https://lists.sr.ht/~rjarry/aerc-devel/patches/53566

~neff 25 days ago

Fantastic. Your patch works perfectly. Thanks a lot -- also for all your work on aerc.

~ferdinandyb 25 days ago

Could you please send a Tested-by: trailer for the patch on the ML, so Robin can apply it? Thanks!

~neff 25 days ago

OK! I have never used an email based git workflow.

So, I just sent an email to

~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht
Re: [PATCH aerc] rfc822: properly parse address lists

and hope this is the correct way to review your patch.

~ferdinandyb 25 days ago

On Sat Jun 29, 2024 at 10:54, ~neff outgoing@sr.ht wrote:

OK! I have never used an email based git workflow.

So, I just sent an email to

~rjarry/aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht
Re: [PATCH aerc] rfc822: properly parse address lists

and hope this is the correct way to review your patch.

Yes, that workflow is that you reply to the email that was the patch with say

Tested-by: Name name email@example.com

which will then end up in the commit being applied.

On the other hand, I am not seeing your reply yet ...

-- +36305425054 bence.ferdinandy.com

~neff 25 days ago

Oh, my email provider seems to have issues with ~ in email addresses or something. I'll investigate. I sent the email twice. (For sourcehut I use the tuta webmail backend, not aerc. Good reason to change this.)

~inwit reviewed the patch. Is this sufficient?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again.

~ferdinandyb 25 days ago

On Sat Jun 29, 2024 at 11:52, ~neff outgoing@sr.ht wrote:

Oh, my email provider seems to have issues with ~ in email addresses or something. I'll investigate. I sent the email twice. (For sourcehut I use the tuta webmail backend, not aerc. Good reason to change this.)

Sourcehut provides an alternative address for this case:

u.rjarry.aerc-devel@lists.sr.ht

~inwit reviewed the patch. Is this sufficient?

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks again.

Yes, it is, thanks! :)

-- +36305425054 bence.ferdinandy.com

~rjarry REPORTED FIXED 25 days ago

Robin Jarry referenced this ticket in commit 0efcf2b.

Register here or Log in to comment, or comment via email.