I start aerc on my laptop and get connection timeout:
aerc > output.txt
2019/06/05 17:50:47 Starting up aerc
2019/06/05 17:50:47 (ui)=> *types.Configure
2019/06/05 17:50:47 (ui)=> *types.Connect
2019/06/05 17:50:47 <-(ui) *types.Configure(2)
2019/06/05 17:50:47 <-(ui) *types.Connect(3)
2019/06/05 17:52:54 ->(ui) *types.Error:*types.Connect
2019/06/05 17:52:54 (ui)<= *types.Error(4):*types.Connect(3)
2019/06/05 17:52:54 dial tcp [2607:f8b0:400a:803::2005]:143: connect: connection timed out
I tried IMAP over SSL, IMAP with STARTLS, and Insecure IMAP. Which of them should I use? insecure?
I'm experiencing the same. Using Gmail with app password, default settings:
2019/06/06 22:11:14 Starting up aerc 2019/06/06 22:11:14 (ui)=> *types.Configure 2019/06/06 22:11:14 (ui)=> *types.Connect 2019/06/06 22:11:14 <-(ui) *types.Configure(2) 2019/06/06 22:11:14 <-(ui) *types.Connect(3) 2019/06/06 22:13:25 ->(ui) *types.Error:*types.Connect 2019/06/06 22:13:25 (ui)<= *types.Error(4):*types.Connect(3) 2019/06/06 22:13:25 dial tcp 22.214.171.124:993: connect: connection timed out
Thanks for the troubleshooting tips, archaeme.
I disabled IPV6 by follow this: https://www.neuraldump.net/2016/11/how-to-disable-ipv6-in-ubuntu-16-04-xenial-xerus/ but It didn't help
How do I find my mail server IP address and how do I ping it using Ubuntu? I am using gmail.
Ah, if you're using Gmail then you need to change your security settings like it says here: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6010255?hl=en
I think Google also has separate hostnames for their SMTP and IMAP servers, make sure you use the correct ones.
For reference, here's what worked for me: https://paste.sr.ht/blob/13b92959fbd8b58725ec845dc261495a3ebc1625
ake, I tried your configuration but it didn't work. I also looked at the google security page (https://myaccount.google.com/security) but I can't find a way to add aerc to the list of 'Third-party apps with account access'
There should be a section calledApp passwordswhere you can generate a password to use with Gmail for aerc.
~oren, you're right that config is no longer working for some reason. Here's what's working for me now: https://paste.sr.ht/~ake/08b2644241f33345e0713e70df8113f47c3febac
The key differences were using
:587as the port and adding the line
smtp-starttls = yes.
I used ake's configuration file and I also replaced my password with 'Google App Password' as described here https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833 solved it.