~sircmpwn/aerc2#18:
Add a CalDAV support (calendar & events)

Should this be an external program which gets rendered in a terminal? Maybe...

Status
REPORTED
Submitter
~sircmpwn
Assigned to
No-one
Submitted
8 months ago
Updated
a month ago
Labels
feature

~sircmpwn 4 months ago

Change of plans: calcurse is quite nice and should support everything we want. Let's add a contrib script and calcurse config which arranges things nicely and encourage distros to make an aerc-calcurse package that rigs everything up for you. May be nice to send some patches upstream to calcurse which rigs up some stuff to feed events back and forth with aerc to wire them into emails.

~tidux 2 months ago

Another project of note: DavMail. It's basically a proxy server that converts Exchange protocols into SMTP/IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV. I've used it successfully to get Thunderbird+Lightning to speak to corporate O365 at a prior job. Packaging wise, aerc + calcurse + calcurse integrations + vim + git-send-email + DavMail could all be dependencies of a single I need to replace Outlook metapackage.

~m4dz 2 months ago

There's also vdirsyncer that allows you to sync local event with a caldav instance. They can be then read locally with a tool like khal which has a pretty good interface too, but less shiny than calcurse it seems. Advantage here is that you don't stick to an app that handle everything under the hood (like calcurse do) but rely on just using standards locally (like registering ical files to the local FS). Sounds more like Unix philosophy, dunno if it fits your needs :)

~muellerj a month ago

@tidux: I have tried to get DavMail to work, but ran into

unable to handle request: Unsupported charset UTF-8

Have you gotten the setup you describe to work?

~mh a month ago

@~muellerj: I also encounter the unsupported charset error when using aerc with davmail. My investigation so far:

  • aerc uses go-imap, which handles[1] this encoding issue as per the IMAP RFC

As such it seems like a davmail issue, but I am still investigating there. At least they had[2] similar issues in the past.

[1] https://github.com/emersion/go-imap/blob/9dc51599b2cd2cf0693f83132a4c6e3748d34a57/client/cmd_selected.go#L89-L97 [2] https://sourceforge.net/p/davmail/bugs/631/

~muellerj a month ago

I have gotten to a similar point. You can replace go-imap with a local copy that interprets BAD the same as BADCHARSET (causing it to try again with US-ASCII).

With that modification, fetching mails now works. I’m guessing DavMail simply outputs the wrong error code.

~mh a month ago

As for DavMail I created a ticket[1]

[1] https://github.com/mguessan/davmail/issues/61

Register here or Log in to comment, or comment via email.